Megan, Kyle, & I have gotten a chance to watch the trailers & clips for all the new network shows, and we’re here to give you our opinions on what might be worth watching—based on the trailers alone. Our opinions may (most likely WILL) change after we get a chance to view the pilots, but for now, this is what we’re thinking. Check out our thoughts on the ABC trailers now, and then come back over the next few days to check out our responses to the other networks.
Let’s start off with the dramas…in alphabetical order:
- Jenny: Honestly, this is probably one I’ll skip even watching the pilot, simply because I know my tastes. This is a drama through and through—much like Nashville and Scandal have turned out to be. I don’t mind a little drama for drama’s sake if it’s in a cop, law, or medical show, but when it’s all about drama, no thanks. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Megan: This trailer left me wanting more. I’m sure there are going to be a lot of people who say that the infidelity angle has been done too many times. I am not one of those people. This a mom who feels alone in her marriage and a man that sparks something in her that she thought was gone. It’s a difficult place to be, and I’m not sure what I would do, but I do know that watching this woman’s life change around her is going to make for good TV. – Curious.
- Kyle: This looks more like something that belongs on Lifetime. Seems to be very thin on plot and heavy on the sex scenes. I would have thought this was another Shonda Rhimes show based on that trailer. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
Jump with us to view more.
- Jenny: Based on the trailer, this seems like one I’ll really enjoy. Its got lots of action, the give-and-take of a…somewhat reluctant partnership, and sexual tension and chemistry. Marc Blucas is a cutie, and while I don’t always like Tricia Helfer, her character in this one seems a lot easier for me to like. – Excited.
- Megan: This looks like it’s going to be a little far-fetched and over the top. That said, I really want to like it because it has Marc Blucas starring in it as Molly’s (Tricia Helfer) love interest, and I have enjoyed him since his days of playing Riley on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It’s an interesting premise, but I’m not sure how far they can go with it without seeming cheesy. Time will tell. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Kyle: I’m not a big Tricia Helfer fan to begin with (though she seems to act better in this one—maybe because she’s a brunette), and there just doesn’t seem to be anything original about this show. Looks like just another male/female partner cop show where there will probably be the usual will they or won’t they dragged out all series. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Jenny: I don’t remember the previous “lottery winners” show like Megan & Kyle do, but this trailer just totally confused me. Too many characters and story lines, too much drama, and it just left me feeling blah at the end. I’m not sure I’ll even watch the pilot. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Megan: This may be one I’m going to be skipping—the trailer actually had me losing interest fast, and I think that the story line seems a bit too muddled. I have a feeling after watching the whole pilot that I’ll put it on my skip list. There was another show once about people who won the lottery (Windfall), and it was pretty horrible—this doesn’t look much better. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Kyle: I liked this show the first time I watched it, when it was called Windfall. That was pulled before it ever reached a resolution, so I’m interested to see how this show tackles that same material. – Curious.
- Jenny: While there was so much action in the trailer that I felt a little discombobulated and confused at times, it also excited me because it looks like it’s going to be really well done (Duh. It’s Joss Whedon!) and a heck of a lot of fun. My guys are drooling over this one, as am I. – Excited.
- Megan: I think the name is WAY too long, but otherwise, I’m excited! First of all, it’s no secret that I love Joss Whedon’s work, and second… Wait, does there need to be a second reason? This show has some serious potential, and I’m interested in seeing it reach that potential—then go even further. Can’t wait for the pilot! – Excited.
- Kyle: I really enjoyed The Avengers and its related movies—and I’m so happy to see that Coulson is alive—and this looks like another Heroes/Alphas type of show. I fully expect the young woman who is being interrogated in the trailer to become the next Buffy, Faith, or River and give us those trademark Joss Whedon heroine fighting scenes. – Excited.
- Jenny: I love Christian Slater, so I was thrilled when I saw him back with a new show. This one is a really cute idea, and while it could end up being lackluster, I really hope it lives up to my expectations. – Excited.
- Megan: Christian Slater and Steve Zahn are two reasons to tune into this show—but not the only reasons. You’re going to want to watch because it’s an intriguing idea, changing fate. If it’s on point, it’s going to be amazing. – Excited.
- Kyle: Why do they keep giving Christian Slater shows?! This looks like a mess, with a weak, hard-to-define premise for the main characters. I have a feeling this will be even worse than Slater’s The Forgotten. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Jenny: I thought about adding my own category (Not Even 1 and Done.) because I know I won’t even watch the pilot. As I said before, I’m not a “drama” girl, and I don’t like the original of this show. I like Grimm because of the cop aspect and the creatures he deals with, but even the drama aspect of it (Adalind, the Royals, the Juliette story line) gets old to me. For fans of the original series, I hope this one is a success, but I won’t be watching. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Megan: I am not a fan of the title because it’s confusing when we already have a Once Upon a Time and because it’s long. My dislike of the title choice aside, this show looks spectacular! Being transported to a world that is but a fairytale is exactly what TV is about, so I’m all for another show that helps us detach from the real world for an hour and enjoy the extraordinary. I’m going to jump down the rabbit hole with Alice in the fall. Will you? – Excited.
- Kyle: I’ve enjoyed what they’ve done with Once Upon a Time, and I’m looking forward to seeing how they expand the universe here—and what they do with the inevitable crossovers. There’s no reason for me to believe this won’t be just as successful as the original. – Excited.
- Jenny: I may try to start out watching the pilot, but like Touch, I think it just won’t hold my interest when I have so many other shows to watch and enjoy. It looks like a fantastic premise and like it’ll be a crazy, heart-wrenching story, but it’s just not my thing. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Megan: I was entranced by this trailer—it’s so different. Can you imagine if a child you lost came back to life? Is it a curse or a miracle? There are so many unanswered questions that get brought up by this show that I can’t help but be anxious to watch the full pilot. This show will be amazing if they can make it high caliber and keep the story moving properly—ABC, don’t let me down, please. – Excited.
- Kyle: Out of ABC’s drama trailers, this was the one that intrigued me the most. I really like the premise and really wanted to see more once the trailer ended—I want to know what’s going on with the dead kid coming back to life decades later without having aged! – Excited.
And now on to the comedies…
- Jenny: I loved, loved, loved this one and I can’t wait to see the pilot. We don’t get to see Maggie Lawson as Juliet on Psych loosen up and show her comedic side very often (the guys tend to take over that part of it), so seeing her in a half-hour comedy is great. And I adored James Caan in Las Vegas, so I’m excited to see him back. They had great chemistry in the trailer, and the show looks adorable and funny, so I can’t wait to watch. – Excited.
- Megan: I really like James Caan and Maggie Lawson, so I was looking forward to this trailer. It didn’t disappoint. The idea of a mom coaching a team full of kids that no one wanted on their team is almost the start for a drama, but it’s a comedy for sure! The kids on the team are hilarious, and the interactions between Terry (Lawson) and her dad, The Cannon (James Caan), are done really well. I can’t wait for the full pilot to be released! – Curious.
- Kyle: The idea for the show seems more like a movie premise (that’s already been done a million times), and I have no idea how it will work as a series, but this was easily my favorite of the new ABC comedies. It looks like a lot of fun and like it will be a great addition to the Wednesday comedy block. I really like Maggie Lawson, and I’m happy to see her in another show—though I don’t know what this means for Psych in the future. – Excited.
- Jenny: This show looks almost too cute for its own good. It’s a nice nostalgic look back to the 80s for those of us who remember it, and I always love a slightly dysfunctional family comedy. – Excited.
- Megan: I was giggling the whole time through this trailer. There is so much that was terrible about the 80s (the hair, the clothes, etc.), but there was a lot of good in the 80s too (me being born, and of course, the TV). This show makes me want to grab some leg warmers and a florescent pink shirt and then sit down and watch reruns of ALF and Fraggle Rock. I’m not sure it’s going to be a huge hit in the ratings, but I know it’s going to be a hit in my house. – Excited.
- Kyle: Another great-looking comedy—I’m really excited for ABC’s Wednesday lineup this year! Also happy to see a sitcom set in the 80s. – Excited.
- Jenny: I’m slightly more excited than curious, but still cautious enough to choose Curious, rather than Excited. I loved the trailer, loved the relationship we could see developing between the awkward guy and the woman he tried to flirt with who seemed far out of his league, and I can’t wait to see more. But I am cautious because having the entire season set on one night in a bar… Will it get old quickly? – Curious.
- Megan: I’m not exactly sure how I feel about this show yet. It’s an interesting premise, but I wonder if limiting themselves to this “singles at a bar” idea for a season is going to make it go stale fast. One thing for sure, though. It did make me laugh, so it’s worth at least a pilot watch. – Curious.
- Kyle: I’m not sure I like the idea of an entire season taking place in one night at a bar—waiting until the season finale to see who goes home with whom. I don’t see how they can stretch it out and keep it interesting—would pretty much need to be in real-time. However, I’m curious to check it out. – Curious.
- Jenny: I have nothing against the main actress or anything, but my humor runs differently than this show—just like I’m not at all interested in The Mindy Project. I laughed once or twice watching the trailer, but… Give me a family comedy any day. I’ll probably watch the pilot to make sure I’m not missing something I can’t skip, but… – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Megan: When I heard that Rebel Wilson was coming to TV, I didn’t care what the show was called or if I even liked the premise, because I LOVE her! Then I watched the trailer, and I was snorting from laughing so hard. Honestly, I liked her in Bridesmaids, but I adored her in Pitch Perfect. This show will become a quick don’t-miss comedy for me, I just know it. PS… Doesn’t everyone own a bra and panty set that flashes LED hearts? 😉 – Excited.
- Kyle: Rebel Wilson is hilarious, and I’ve loved everything I’ve seen her in, so this could be really great. However, why are they having her speak with an American accent?! – Curious.
- Jenny: I didn’t find most of the trailer funny, the ex-wife seemed like a witch, and I just don’t see myself wanting to even watch the full pilot. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Megan: This is a show that I don’t think I’m going to like. I enjoy Marcia Gay Hardin, but I just don’t feel she fits into this show well. There are things about this show that are relatable—stepkids and ex-wives are difficult to deal with when you enter a new relationship—but overall, this show feels a little too contrived. I’ll save my final judgement until I watch the full pilot, but so far, I think I’m skipping it. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Kyle: Not sure about this one. Looks like it’s trying to be Modern Family meets The New Normal, but I just didn’t find the trailer all that funny. I also didn’t really care about any of the characters or actors. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
[…] missed it, Megan, Kyle, & I gave our opinions yesterday on the ABC trailers. You can view that here. Now, we’re here to give you our opinions on the CBS shows, starting with the dramas. […]
[…] opinions on the trailers for the new fall shows. You can check out the ones we’ve already posted: ABC & CBS. Now, we’re here to give you our opinions on the NBC shows, starting with the dramas. […]
[…] opinions on the trailers for the new fall shows. You can check out the ones we’ve already posted: ABC, CBS, & NBC. Now, we’re here to give you our opinions on the FOX shows, starting with the […]
[…] opinions on the trailers for the new fall shows. You can check out the ones we’ve already posted: ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX. Now, we’re here to give you our opinions on the CW pilot previews. […]