Megan, Kyle, & I have been giving our opinions on the trailers for the new fall shows. You can check out the ones we’ve already posted: ABC, CBS, & NBC. Now, we’re here to give you our opinions on the FOX shows, starting with the dramas.
- Jenny: I am already in love with J.J. Abrams’ new show. It’s a cop show mixed with sci-fi, and although the lead is definitely flawed, it doesn’t look like he’s a bad guy, really. So I absolutely can’t wait to watch the pilot. (In fact, I’m getting ready to watch it not long after I type this up. 😉 ) – Excited.
- Megan: I am pretty interested in this one. It reminds me of the Will Smith movie, I, Robot. There are going to be a lot of hurdles to make this series worth watching, but if anyone can do it, J.J. Abrams can. – Excited.
- Kyle: I would normally really enjoy this type of film, but not I’m sure if this will be that interesting as a weekly series. The whole robot that looks completely human seems like a bit of a cop-out to make it easier to produce. – Curious.
Jump with us to view more.
- Jenny: I have a feeling I won’t like this show since I hate shows where the internal conflict is happening and the good guys don’t know it. Maybe it’ll surprise me… It’s a cop show, but I think the drama behind it may just be too much for me to enjoy. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Megan: This is an interesting premise, and I’m intrigued because it’s from the writers of The Fast and the Furious. Truth be told, I’m not sure it’ll succeed as a series, but I’m willing to give it a shot, especially because Terry O’Quinn (Lost) is back on my TV. – Curious.
- Kyle: The show could be well done, but I just have no interest in the subject matter. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Jenny: No. Just…no. I cringed my way through the trailer. I found it hard to like the main character. He’s flawed, which is okay, but he’s too flawed for me to enjoy, I think. Too much like some of the shows on premium cable that I wouldn’t watch if you paid me (well, I MIGHT watch if you paid me, but… LOL), like Californication & Shameless… I’ll probably end up skipping the pilot. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Megan: Are we completely out of original ideas in the U.S. that we have to keep remaking other countries’ ideas? This remake of an Australian show had me yawning from the start of the trailer. Also the whole defending the cannibal thing is gross and really a bad way to get sympathy built for the lead character. I hated this trailer and honestly don’t know if I’ll even watch the pilot. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Kyle: I’m surprised they didn’t rename this remake of an Australian series of the same name—I doubt anyone in the US will know what the term “rake” means. Not that it really matters, as I doubt I will be watching more than the pilot. Greg Kinnear was fine, but just didn’t find it all that interesting of a show. – Most Likely 1 and Done.
- Jenny: This will be interesting to see if they can pull off making this a cop show enough to keep an audience, or if the supernatural element will be too strong and overtake the rest, limiting who enjoys the series. If it’s the second, I won’t be sticking around, but if they can do it well and do it right, I’m definitely interested… – Curious.
- Megan: That trailer made me jump, squeal, and basically make me want fall to be here already! I am curious to see how they will make it an interesting story week to week, but I don’t care, because I am IN! Hold on to your head and get excited with me. – Excited.
- Kyle: Kind of reminds me of that New Amsterdam series Fox had years ago. Looks like an interesting premise, though I wonder how they will expand beyond the headless horseman to give a new story each week while expanding the mythology of the show. – Excited.
Now on to the comedies…
- Jenny: I thought this new comedy looked hysterical. The lead is over-the-top, but not so stupid that I wasn’t amused. The supporting cast looks good, too. I’m definitely interested to see if it stays in that small zone of stupidly funny or if it crosses over to just being stupid. – Curious.
- Megan: I wasn’t sure I was going to laugh during this trailer but I simply couldn’t help it. This show took the premise used by a couple of cop comedic movies (such as 21 Jump Street or The Other Guys) and does it better. As far as I can tell without watching the whole pilot, I’m going to like this. – Excited.
- Kyle: As much as I like Andy Samberg (in small doses), he might be the worst part of this series. Overall, this looked like it could be too wacky and with really unrealistic characters. However, I could be wrong, and maybe this will be a good replacement for The Office. – Curious.
- Jenny: Does anyone else find it hysterical that we have Mom on one network and this show on another? Huh. I laughed enough to want to see the pilot, but not sure how viewers will take to it. – Curious.
- Megan: Seth MacFarlane seems to be everyone’s go-to comedic genius—granted, Stewie from Family Guy can be funny, but I’m not sure about this show. My lukewarm feelings for Seth MacFarlane aside, I love Seth Green (forever “Oz” from Buffy). He will be the reason I tune in to watch and I may even laugh a little. PS: Why are men so obsessed with school girl outfits?? – Excited.
- Kyle: Not sure about this one—will need to see more to see if it’s a keeper. I like the premise, but not a huge fan of most of the cast (particularly the dads). – Curious.
- Jenny: I love the cast, and I love the premise. The trailer had me laughing, and I’m excited to see more, even though it’s certainly not my favorite comedy for the season. I am glad to see Geoff Stultz back on my TV! – Excited.
- Megan: Geoff Stults has always been better at comedy than drama, so I feel like this is a good fit for him. The true comedic light in this show for me is Chris Lowell, who I have loved since his days on Veronica Mars. I love the premise of three brothers all training at the same Army base, and I think that on FOX, this show is going to be a hit. – Excited.
- Kyle: This looked like it could be a lot of fun, with a good cast. This is another show that seems to be based on a movie premise that’s been done a million times, so will need to see how it works as a series. – Curious.
- Jenny: Who knew that Elliot Stabler (I mean, Chris Meloni 🙂 ) could do comedy? I love that the show is set in the 90s, and I love that it’s going to be a mix of heartwarming and funny, much like some of my current favorites. I’m excited to see the pilot. – Excited.
- Megan: I was nervous when I heard that Christopher Meloni (Law & Order: SVU) was going to be starring in a comedy. Whew, I was relieved. This is fantastic! The approach to parenting teens from a dad’s perspective is excellent, as well as the 90s setting. I think this could be a huge hit for FOX. – Excited.
- Kyle: This looked hilarious—really funny cast, and I liked the 1990s setting of the series. This looked like the most promising of the new Fox comedies. – Excited.
- Jenny: This may be my favorite comedy of the new season. I adore the cast. The premise is adorable. The trailer made me want more…immediately. I can’t wait to see the pilot. – Excited.
- Megan: Alexis Bledel and Jason Ritter? Sign me up. I’m not completely sold on another remake of a British comedy (Gavin & Stacey), but the trailer was cute and funny. It’s worth a pilot watch at least. – Curious.
- Kyle: I tried to watch the original Gavin & Stacey and never made it through the first season, so I don’t know if this will be any better. There was some funny stuff in the trailer, and I like most of the cast (the two friends being the exceptions), so interested to see more. – Curious.